Select Page

Typically, when you think of the transportation industry, you may assume that all drivers have commercial licenses. However, it really depends on the company you’re driving for; some only require a regular driver’s license. So, do you need a CDL to transport RVs?

What is a CDL?

A CDL, or commercial driver’s license, is a type of driver’s license that allows drivers to operate large vehicles, such as semi-trucks, buses, and livestock vehicles. However, not all CDLs are created equal. There are three different types of commercial driver’s licenses:

1. Class A
A Class A commercial license allows drivers to operate a combination of vehicles with a total weight over 26,001 pounds. However, the towed vehicle must be at least 10,000 pounds on its own. If you have a Class A license, you can operate vehicles such as tractor-trailers, flatbeds, and livestock carriers. 

2. Class B
A Class B commercial license also allows drivers to operate a combination of vehicles with a total weight of over 26,001 pounds, but the towed vehicle must weigh less than 10,000 pounds. Vehicles that can be operated with a Class B license include straight trucks, passenger buses, and dump trucks.

3. Class C
A Class C commercial license allows drivers to either operate vehicles transporting 16 or more passengers (including the driver) or transport hazardous materials. The Class C license holder may drive vehicles such as passenger vans and smaller HazMat vehicles. 

These are slightly different from operator’s licenses; in fact, CDLs are a specific type of operator’s license. In essence, an operator’s license allows people over the age of 18 to operate trucks under a certain weight. The requirements and restrictions for these licenses vary by state.

What are the benefits of having a Class A CDL?

One of the definite benefits of having a Class A commercial license would be the amount of vehicles you’re able to drive. With this kind of flexibility, there are a multitude of options for you jobwise. Additionally, you’re pretty much guaranteed to travel, so if you’ve got an adventurous spirit, this can open up those opportunities for you as well!

What kind of license do you need to drive with Wave Express?

Wave Express does not require you to have a CDL in order to drive with us. If you have an operator’s license to drive commercially, you are good to go. However, it is preferable that you do have a Class A CDL. You can learn more about our requirements for drivers here.

If you’re interested in driving with us, please visit our application page to apply today! Here at Wave Express, we prioritize the safety and wellbeing of our drivers. We wish you safe travels!

Translate »